[aur-general] pkgconflict: a tool to find file conflicts when building packages

Chris Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Thu Apr 9 13:40:15 EDT 2009

Daenyth Blank wrote:
> How is the filesize of the REPO.db? CMB was reporting that community
> was taking up more than 75mb with his version. Regardless of how the
> sqlite features would be implemented, I will also keep the flat file
> version available, and configurable. How are the searching and
> updating speeds compared to before?

Here are the rest of my results from yesterday.
Inserting all of core, extra, and community took less than 6 minutes,
on a machine with a single 2.5 GHz Pentium 4 CPU and 512 MB of RAM.
The database weighed in at a whopping 240 megabytes.
I haven't tried an incremental update yet.

Here is what I know about search speeds.
A query like
"select * from files where filename = 'usr/bin/getmail'"
is practically instantaneous, as one would expect.
"select * from files where filename like '%/getmail'"
takes 5 seconds or so,
because it has to iterate through all the filenames in the table.

If sqlite were used for pkgfile, that second query would need to be quite
a bit faster than it is now.

-- Chris