[aur-general] When does a package need -svn?

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Apr 26 00:09:54 EDT 2009

Ray Rashif <schivmeister at gmail.com> wrote:

> > But the author also intends you to provide
> > the source when you distribute binaries.
>
> So in that case we can host the sources ourselves? I don't know if it'll be
> right to do so..especially if people start downloading from there instead.
> Legally, the GPL allows and encourages that. Also, the author cannot take
> action but he _can_ blacklist people on his own papers because in that
> particular situation we are not helping him. That's what I'm afraid of.

Have you tried contacting the author? If you explained the packaging
system to him and offered to include a post-installation message of his
choice (e.g. "message from the author: I work hard on this. If you find
it useful, please consider making a donation blah blah blah...")  then
perhaps he would agree to some arrangement (e.g. he consents to your
hosting the sources). I don't know how likely that is but I think it's
worth asking.

Even if the GPL fully supports hosting the files and distributing them
as you wish, it's bad style to completely disregard the author's
wishes. Try to work something out with him (her?) first.

If all else fails, I can put you in touch with my very persuasive associates:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=542194#p542194

/Xyne