[aur-general] TU application: Laszlo Papp

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 15:03:53 EDT 2009

Laszlo Papp,

I share Allan's and Loui's concerns about the longevity of your interest
in Arch, and I would like to focus on a couple of inaccuracies I've
noticed in your original application. I'll keep this message short and
not repeat any of the concerns that have already been raised by other
people.

While my questions below may come off as picky (and even impolite and
aggressive), I think they are valid and I'd appreciate sincere answers
to them.

Laszlo Papp wrote:
> I'd like to formally express my interest in becoming a Trusted User.
> My name is Laszlo Papp and I'm addicted to archlinux. :) I'm a 23 year
> old from Hungary, working at a resourcement/development company as
> Embedded Linux Developer.

In your CV [1] I read: "Since 2009. January – 2009. May Audio Dension
Kft, Embedded Linux C Developer". Your current job, as seen on your CV,
appears to be as a "Software Developer". However, in your TU application
you've included your previous job title. What's the deal here?

> I've been using Linux for more than 7 years. I used Gentoo until early
> 2008, and I learned a great deal about Linux in the process. I settled
> on Arch more than 1 year ago, nearly 1 and half :) Moving to Arch was
> easy for me, because of my years of experience with Gentoo. I was very
> attracted by the lack of dominance of money and business world and by
> the warm and friendly community.

So, you say you haven't used Gentoo in over 18 months. How is it then
possible that you filed a bug report [2] with Gentoo this February?

Besides the above inaccuracies, you've mentioned twice in this thread
that you like helping other people. More specifically, you've said:

- "Archlinux Contribution isn't my short distance plan only. I like to
do it, I like to give helping hand for the newbies.", and
- "I enjoy helping the newbies, and other users, if I can.".

However, in a private discussion we had less than a month ago [3], you
weren't exactly fond of the idea of helping other people. What you did
seem interested in, was to know whether this lack of activity on the
forums and mailing lists could become a deciding factor in a TU
application. This left me with a pretty bad impression of you that day.

Closing, I'd like to say that the behavior you've shown so far, and your
intense enthusiasm worry me a great deal. While your intentions may be
noble, I can't help thinking that you don't have the right mindset for
the position you're applying for.

I hope you won't get offended by any of the above. They are all valid
concerns of mine and getting answers to them would greatly help me
decide on how to vote.

----
[1] http://djszapi.homelinux.net/CV_en.pdf
[2] http://bugs.gentoo.org/257470