[aur-general] TU application: Laszlo Papp

Laszlo Papp djszapi2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 15:49:06 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis at gmail.com>wrote:

> Laszlo Papp,
>
> I share Allan's and Loui's concerns about the longevity of your interest in
> Arch, and I would like to focus on a couple of inaccuracies I've noticed in
> your original application. I'll keep this message short and not repeat any
> of the concerns that have already been raised by other people.
>
> While my questions below may come off as picky (and even impolite and
> aggressive), I think they are valid and I'd appreciate sincere answers to
> them.
>
> Laszlo Papp wrote:
>
>> I'd like to formally express my interest in becoming a Trusted User.
>> My name is Laszlo Papp and I'm addicted to archlinux. :) I'm a 23 year
>> old from Hungary, working at a resourcement/development company as
>> Embedded Linux Developer.
>>

> In your CV [1] I read: "Since 2009. January – 2009. May Audio Dension Kft,
> Embedded Linux C Developer". Your current job, as seen on your CV, appears
> to be as a "Software Developer". However, in your TU application you've
> included your previous job title. What's the deal here?

Hello Evangelos!

I wrote at my present company usb kernel drivers, and one PCI related, and
now I deal with Blackfin Digital Signal Processor, and embedded linux,
uClinux operating system.
'Software Developer' can mean so much things, I'd have specialized my
activity so that you can get more detailed information about me.
Well, if I hear that 'Software Developer', or 'Development Engineer', it
doesn't mean so much for it, because this can be a lot of jobs. I've tried
to service more information about me with it.

>  I've been using Linux for more than 7 years. I used Gentoo until early
>> 2008, and I learned a great deal about Linux in the process. I settled
>> on Arch more than 1 year ago, nearly 1 and half :) Moving to Arch was
>> easy for me, because of my years of experience with Gentoo. I was very
>> attracted by the lack of dominance of money and business world and by
>> the warm and friendly community.
>>

> So, you say you haven't used Gentoo in over 18 months. How is it then
> possible that you filed a bug report [2] with Gentoo this February?

Because it wasn't a black and white changing, I booted sometimes gentoo to
add this a one plus facility. My gentoo system stayed on a separate
harddisk, I can boot it anytime, or chroot to it, but recently I use
Archlinux the most. And of course there were some situations at my company
when I needed to use other distribution too, like Fedora, Ubuntu, because of
the customer requirements or something similar.

> Besides the above inaccuracies, you've mentioned twice in this thread that
> you like helping other people. More specifically, you've said:
>
> - "Archlinux Contribution isn't my short distance plan only. I like to do
> it, I like to give helping hand for the newbies.", and
> - "I enjoy helping the newbies, and other users, if I can.".
>
> However, in a private discussion we had less than a month ago [3], you
> weren't exactly fond of the idea of helping other people. What you did seem
> interested in, was to know whether this lack of activity on the forums and
> mailing lists could become a deciding factor in a TU application. This left
> me with a pretty bad impression of you that day.

Sorry, if I caused bad impression with it. In that time I didn't have so
much times for it, it's sure, I had got lot of works at the company, and all
my contribution that time was packaging, but when I closed a big project by
the company, I could help on forum and mailing list too. It can occur in the
future too so that I won't have so much time like now, because of a company
project. It doesn't mean that nothing, but lesser.

> Closing, I'd like to say that the behavior you've shown so far, and your
> intense enthusiasm worry me a great deal. While your intentions may be
> noble, I can't help thinking that you don't have the right mindset for the
> position you're applying for.
>
> I hope you won't get offended by any of the above. They are all valid
> concerns of mine and getting answers to them would greatly help me decide on
> how to vote.
>
> ----
> [1] http://djszapi.homelinux.net/CV_en.pdf
> [2] http://bugs.gentoo.org/257470
> [3] http://i28.tinypic.com/4zxn2h.png

I try to answer for all your questions, if I can, thank you.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp