[aur-general] Please delete AUR package "protobuf2"

Daniel J Griffiths ghost1227 at archlinux.us
Tue Aug 25 21:25:42 EDT 2009

Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> On 26.08.2009 03:06, Daniel J Griffiths wrote:
>
>> Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
>>
>>> Hey there,
>>>
>>> I'm requesting that AUR package "protobuf2" be deleted because it is an
>>> updated version of "protobuf" in [community] with no added benefit.
>>> On a related note, the "protobuf" [community] package is without a
>>> maintainer, yet it would be very easy to maintain and update, any
>>> takers?
>>>
>>> -- Sven-Hendrik
>>>

>> Unless I'm misreading something, you're incorrect... The version in
>> [community] is at 2.0.3, while the version in AUR is 2.2.0.... Since
>> their website lists 2.2.0 as the current stable version I'm inclined
>> to leave the version in AUR alone. On the issue of the version in
>> [community], it's possible that Geoffroy simply hasn't re-adopted it
>> since the recent transition. However, if he doesn't wish to maintain
>> it any further, I'll be happy to adopt it.
>>

> Isn't updating old official packages using AUR a no-no though? At least
> the wiki says so. All it takes is changing the version number of the
> [community] protobuf and maybe remove the --disable-static flag to make
> me happy as well.

That depends on the reason behind the update... Sometimes you might find
a package in [community] that has been help back for a legitimate reason
(dependency on a specific version or whatever), or on the other hand you
might find an updated package in AUR that is built off an unstable
release for the same reason. I don't know why the package in [community]
is so out dated (have to ask Geoffery, but it doesn't look intentional
to me).