[aur-general] AUR package updating enhancements

Nélson «VuDu» Cunha vudu.curse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 08:06:29 EDT 2009

Hello,
following the weird titled "AUR webpage" thread (
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2009-July/thread.html#5602
) I think the way maintainers handle their packages could have some
things simplified.

I agree that simple updates to PKGBUILDs should be easier.
I've seen many packages with typos in PKGBUILDs, showing that the
extra workload of having to archive the files and upload them doesn't
necessary make users test things before uploading. That's all up to
the maintainer's will to do things right.

I think having a simple syntax highlighted code editor to quick edit
the PKGBUILD or at least a way to simply update the PKGBUILD without
having to archive and upload everything every time would be a great
help.

Some alternatives google gave me, dunno if there are any better:
http://alexgorbatchev.com/wiki/SyntaxHighlighter
http://codepress.sourceforge.net/
http://marijn.haverbeke.nl/codemirror/
http://helene.muze.nl/