[aur-general] AUR package updating enhancements

Ronald van Haren ronald at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 27 14:00:59 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Xyne<xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
> [...]
> It's like suggesting to go to the beach and instead of someone
> objecting with "I think it's too cold today... have you checked the
> weather?" you get a 5 minute tirade about much it sucks to get sand in
> your clothes, how swallowing seawater is bad for you, that UV radiation
> is bad for the skin, that driving to the beach costs money and creates
> pollution, that people die in tsunamis on beaches, that you can be
> eaten by sharks, etc... which all boil down to the objector really
> saying "I haven't left the house in ages and I don't wanna.".

LOL

to be honest, those are all valid points you mentioned. I hate going
to the beach in the summer for some of the points you mentioned,
though going there when it storms is great!

anyway...clearly not the point you wanted to make

> * The PKGBUILD itself is not md5sum'd.
> ** It would be a simple textarea. Wtf said anything about keyboard
> shortcuts and syntax highlighting?
>
> (Again, I'm not supporting the idea, just criticizing the
> grumpy-old-man approach to the discussion.)

yes we're getting old but I still don't like it. I like the AUR
helpers approach though. I really don't see the point changing the
PKGBUILD in the terminal (or finding md5sum or whatever), go to you
webbrowser, start the editor there and change it. You could even make
a typo rendering the PKGBUILD not functioning (yes you could test it
by downloading the changed PKGBUILD from AUR but well...you know).

But in every discussion someone can always change my mind with good arguments...

Ronald