[aur-general] TU Application: Ray Rashif (schivmeister)

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 13:08:55 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Ray Rashif <schivmeister at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/5 Ionut Biru <ibiru at archlinux.org>

>>>  2) How are cross-repository buildtime and optional dependencies

>>> Well, that cannot be true. There are lots of packages in extra that
>>> (make-)depend on packages in core, and packages in community that
>>> (make-)depend on packages in core or extra. Only the other way around is
>>> forbidden. Read the "->" as "may deliver (make-)dependencies for"
>>> core -> extra -> community
>>>
>>> Regards Stefan
>>>

>> thanks for explaining better. what i wanted to say is that a package from
>> core can't depend on o package from extra or community. or a package from
>> extra cannont dependend on one from community.
>>
>> he asked that exact type of dependency and that's why i said is not
>> allowed.
>>

> Yes, correct, that's exactly what I wanted to know. In terms of
> dependencies, it's obvious they have to be in the same repo since a user may
> want to just use one. But what I was concerned about was makedepends and
> optdepends, since they don't affect the user when he downloads the binary.
>

> --
> GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD

For makedepends applies the same, though if you search carefully
you'll find some package which don't follow this rule of thumb if I'm
correct. An example would be if a makedepends of a core package would
bring a shitload of packages to core. Either way, these cases are
really rare and when come up they should be discussed  what the best
course of action would be in that particular caes.

Ronald