[aur-general] Going to submit my first AUR package dvtm-git

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 06:38:21 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 11:41 AM, garfiield <garfiield at garfiield.net> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Like the subject says, I am going to submit my first AUR
> package dvtm-git [1]. But before I do that I would like to get some
> questions answered.
>
> Questions:
> Although dvtm [2] in AUR has the description "Dynamic virtual terminal
> manager", I have chosen "Tiling window management for the console" as
> the description of my package. My reason for choosing this description
> is that _I think_ it is more descriptive than just giving the meaning of
> the abbreviation "dvtm" (like the dvtm package does).
>
> * Should I go with my own description of the package or use the same
>  description as the dvtm package? (Maybe add some information to inform
>  that the source is a Git repository?)

- your description is just fine, it is indeed more descriptive
- the git part should already be obvious from package name

> * What other improvements should or can I do to the package?

Looks perfect to me after just reading it.
Maybe I wouldn't have used a scriptlet just to display this :
  echo "The configuration of dvtm is done by creating a custom"
  echo "config.h and (re)compiling the source code."

I guess I would just put a comment in the pkgbuild. But it's up to
you, there is not only one way to do things :)

And another personal opinion : I find packages cumbersome when I have
to change source code a lot :)
But in that case, once you achieved a decent config, it's alright.