[aur-general] Package voting alternatives

Sebastian Nowicki sebnow at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 03:09:36 EST 2009

On 27/12/2009, at 3:35 PM, kludge wrote:

> On 12/26/2009 10:00 PM, Sebastian Nowicki wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I believe this was discussed on aur-dev some years ago, but it seems
>> that discussion was lost (no longer in archives). I'd like to bring
>> up
>> the subject again. What do you think the best way to indicate package
>> popularity is? The two main ideas were votes (the current
>> implementation) and a download counter. I can't really recall which
>> one
>> was preferred.
>>
>> The issue has been raised because we're deciding which to use in
>> "AUR2",
>> as a patch has been submitted to implement votes.
>>
>> I'd like to know if voting works, how effective it is, and how much
>> significance it has on a TU's decision to put a package into
>> community.
>> Basically whether it's "broken" and needs to be "fixed" or if it's
>> fine
>> the way it is.
>>
>> P.S. I didn't send this to aur-dev as it doesn't really concern the
>> developers. It's an end-user feature, and mostly a feature for TUs,
>> so I
>> posted here.
>
> that is (or at least has been) a much thornier question than i think
> you
> think it is.
>
> search through this list's archives around starting around november of
> 2008.  this might be a good starting point:
>
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2008-November/002790.html
>
> some choice reading there!
>
> -kludge

Thanks for the link, but that discussion seems to have a different
focus. I'm not concerned with policy about the metric, I'm just
looking for a more optimal solution for an indication of the usage of
a package. I don't expect to be able to provide an accurate
indication, just a more accurate one than through a primitive voting
system. There are some valid points in there though.

On 27/12/2009, at 3:37 PM, Jeff Horelick wrote:

> My problem with voting is that stuff like...Say i use one of the
> firefox-like packages in the AUR (swiftfox, swiftweasel, firefox-
> beta, what
> have you) and I vote for it, but then I switch to Chrome/Chromium.
> It's
> unlikely that i'll ever remember to un-vote when i switch which
> would skew
> the popularity/vote rating for the firefox package.

These are some of the reasons I have been thinking of a time-scaled
voting/download hybrid. Votes would be tracked as they have been, and
a download counter would be introduced. However these two statistics
would be affected by time in some sort of a mathematical function
which would result in a "popularity" statistic. I believe there are
many such functions around used for sites like Digg and Reddit. Old
votes/downloads would be less significant, so issues such as switching
software (firefox -> chromium for example) wouldn't be as severe.

The reason for introducing a download counter is because it would
indicate how many users _continue_ to use a package. You can vote only
once, and possibly forget about the vote (and hence not un-vote), but
if you upgrade, this gets tracked and affects the "popularity"
statistic.

If a package is extremely popular at one point, but then becomes
obsolete by a "next generation" package, the popularity of the
obsolete package will decrease over time, although the votes and
downloads would increase slightly, if at all.

There are two major issues I have with a download counter though. One
being spamming, which would only be easily avoided by banning certain
IPs for an amount of time (however requiring IP tracking, which is a
privacy issue). The other is having to "proxy" the download through a
script to actually track the download. This shouldn't really be a
problem if done right, but it can be a point of failure and adds
unnecessary complexity.