[aur-general] Package voting alternatives

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 10:50:28 EST 2009

> Personally I think you're overcomplicating things. To me it seems the
> votes don't matter anyway. There are guidelines for the number of needed
> votes afaik but from my limited experience packages only get into
> community when a TU is interested in them, in which case the votecount
> doesn't matter at all.

A package must be popular in order to enter [community], where
*popular* is defined as >= 10 votes on the AUR or >= 1% usage according
to pkgstats.
There are some exceptions to that rule:
i18n packages, drivers, and accessibility packages.
Generally speaking, numbers are necessary.
A popular package isn't guaranteed to enter [community],
depending on the interest and discretion of TUs.
We do need to be able to measure usage somehow, be it votes,
download counts, pkgstats, or what have you.
As someone else mentioned in this thread, none of these is really perfect.

-- Chris