[aur-general] Package voting alternatives

Aaron Schaefer aaron at elasticdog.com
Mon Dec 28 16:42:10 EST 2009

Man, this thread really drums up some nitpicks of mine regarding the
current, somewhat arbitrary, ways of establishing package usage &
popularity. I won't rehash my old arguments here, but if you're
looking for a "better" statistical way of ranking popularity using a
voting system, you might want to take a look at a Wilson score
confidence intervals:

http://www.evanmiller.org/how-not-to-sort-by-average-rating.html

You'd probably need to compare something like downloads to votes since
we don't really have/need up and down votes, but it could make sorting
by statistical popularity a bit more accurate.

--
Aaron "ElasticDog" Schaefer