[aur-general] Package voting alternatives

Sebastian Nowicki sebnow at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 06:11:01 EST 2009

On 29/12/2009, at 5:42 AM, Aaron Schaefer wrote:

> Man, this thread really drums up some nitpicks of mine regarding the
> current, somewhat arbitrary, ways of establishing package usage &
> popularity. I won't rehash my old arguments here, but if you're
> looking for a "better" statistical way of ranking popularity using a
> voting system, you might want to take a look at a Wilson score
> confidence intervals:
>
> http://www.evanmiller.org/how-not-to-sort-by-average-rating.html
>
> You'd probably need to compare something like downloads to votes since
> we don't really have/need up and down votes, but it could make sorting
> by statistical popularity a bit more accurate.
>
> --
> Aaron "ElasticDog" Schaefer

I think this might be one of those algorithms I was looking for. Thanks!

On 29/12/2009, at 5:46 AM, Florian Friesdorf wrote:

> I think the general idea that people express their support through a
> vote is good. I often install a package just to test it and to realize
> that I don't need it. Don't see why this should increase the
> popularity,
> one could argue it should decrease...

With the "hybrid" idea, as already stated, the significance of
downloads could be much lower than that of votes, meaning that a
single download would make a very small difference, and would soon be
(almost) forgotten due to it being scaled by time.

On 29/12/2009, at 7:30 AM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

> Excerpts from Florian Friesdorf's message of Mon Dec 28 22:46:38
> +0100 2009:
>> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 01:16:56PM +0100, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
>>
>> Further I'd like to see a list of all packages I voted for, so far
>> I was
>> not able to get this - might be my lack of knowledge.
>
> Me neither. you can kind of see this for the packages you maintain in
> aur. You get a list where you can see the voted and notify status for
> each.
> Having something like this for the aur webinterface search, or more
> easily available through a link on your 'aur home' page would be
> nice. Same for notify.
> I guess this only needs coding.

I actually want to expand upon the notification idea with "AUR2," it
will likely require its own notification management interface, but
that's another topic ;).

Showing packages you voted for would be trivial in "AUR2," not sure
about AUR. I imagine it wouldn't be that hard.