[aur-general] Discussion regarding TU Swiergot

Ghost1227 ghost1227 at archlinux.us
Fri Feb 20 15:01:17 EST 2009

Ronald van Haren wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 13:51, Ghost1227 <ghost1227 at archlinux.us> wrote:
>>
>>> Over the last few months, I have noticed that TU Swiergot has neglected his
>>> packages in community. I first noticed this with the cinelerra-cv package
>>> which was several months out of date and using the now-defunct cvs repo
>>> (cinelerra-cv switched to git two months ago). I posted a cinelerra-cv-git
>>> package to the AUR and attempted several times to contact him. Two months
>>> went by and I got no reply from any of the several addresses he has, so I
>>> discussed the situation with another TU, then updated his cinelerra-cv
>>> package and sent him another email notifying him of the update. I have since
>>> taken a look through his packages and the bugtracker. He has several
>>> packages marked out of date (and some have comments explaining fixes), as
>>> well as a handful of open bugs on the bugtracker. Since I have been unable
>>> to contact him through any means, I propose orphaning his packages so that
>>> more available TUs can take over the responsibility for them. There are
>>> several that I would be happy to take over (assaultcube, cinelerra-cv, cube,
>>> dosemu, fcrackzip, nexuiz, qemu-launcher, stegdetect, steghide, supertux and
>>> maybe a few others), and some of his packages (including some of the ones
>>> i'll take) should be dropped to the AUR.
>>>
>>> Discuss
>>>

>> If he's been inactive that long (and iirc without notice) then
>> according to the TU bylaws, he should be removed as a TU.
>>

> is this an actual removal discussion or what is the topic of this discussion?
>
> Ronald

Well my initial intent was simply to turn over his packages (or at least
the outdated ones) to people who are actually available to handle them.
However, Daenyth brings up a good point and perhaps this should be an
actual removal discussion. After several months of trying to contact a
TU, and several other TUs not even knowing who he is... I'd say it's a
safe bet he's been inactive a while. Have to actually look at the
logs/ML archive to see for sure though.