[aur-general] Suggestion of resource on AUR.

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue Jan 6 03:53:52 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 14:58 -0200, Robson Roberto Souza Peixoto wrote:
> When a packages was marked as out-of-date should set a timeout. If the
> owner don't updated, the package will marked as orphan. Something like
> two months.
>
> What do you think?

I don't like this idea.
As developer, I get a lot of out-of-date flags for packages that aren't
outdated. Some people use the flag option to report bugs. Other people
see a GNOME 2.25.x package appearing on the GNOME FTP and report the
stable 2.24.x version as outdated.
Sometimes I'm constantly unflagging packages all the time, but sometimes
I just leave it alone because I know some other user who knows it all
better than me flags it again anyways (I've had the same packages
flagged 4 times per day).
This would mean that with this rule, half of the GNOME desktop would be
orphaned halfway the beta series of the next GNOME version.

Out-of-date flagging is just an indication that a package could use some
attention, but when a package is flagged out-of-date for a while, it
doesn't mean the developer is inactive.