[aur-general] storming in for no reason with crazy ideas

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 7 07:35:49 EST 2009

Loui Chang wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 10:10:26PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>
>>  I would like to hear Aaron's opinion on whether [community] packages should
>>  appear on the main web page rather than the AUR if/when we go for the
>>  single repo-tools route.
>>  The advantage of having the [community] packages shown on the main page is
>>  less maintenance.  It also separates the AUR from any repo (which I
>>  personally think is a good thing...)
>>
>>  The disadvantage, is [community] becomes "overly official".
>>

> Right. The TUs should be the ones to decide that part.

Sure.  But if according to the overlord this is never going to happen,
then there is not much point discussing this further.

> I don't think it would be that hard to hook AUR into the devtools, but
> we wouldn't get some of the archweb improvements/features. We would keep
> package votes and comments though which are important I think.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of comments for [community] packages.  Most
things placed there would be much better in the bug tracker...

> Unless votes are implemented in archweb I think we should keep the AUR
> interface for votes/search at least. The backend can still change.

Given you are one of the main AUR contributors, can you give us an idea
of how long it would realistically take to change the AUR to use the SVN
style backend used by the main repos?

Allan