[aur-general] Discussion period - Moving [community] to use same system as main repos

Abhishek Dasgupta abhidg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 22:16:22 EST 2009

The most important part of the proposal (in my viewpoint), is clearly
stated at the bottom of the Wiki page:

"The most important objective of this proposal is to make
[community] use the same infrastructure (devtools, etc.) as the
Arch official repositories [core] and [extra]. Technical details
about how the transition is to be made (whether [community]
and AUR should be totally decoupled, for example) need to be discussed."

It's not that if the proposal is implemented, the next day there'll be a
sudden shift in the way things work, and that the votes and comments
will all disappear into a puff of thin air. There's no timeframe in this
proposal, and we can slowly prepare for the shift to the new infrastructure,
while making code adjustments to the AUR to keep the concerns of users
and other trusted users in mind.

Loui says that votes and comments can still be kept in the AUR, with some
adjustment to the [community] scripts; sure, it'll take some time, but we've
already been using the dated community tools for so long that a few more
months of using it won't hurt, if it means that we can preserve everything else.

--
Abhishek