[aur-general] The search engine needs improvements

Olivier Duclos olivier.duclos at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 18:50:45 EST 2009

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 23:09:39 +0100
Pierre Chapuis <catwell at archlinux.us> wrote:

> Le Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:55:39 +0100,
> Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> > But then again, rar is probably a corner case. I have personally never
> > ran into that problem in all the searches I did on AUR so it is
> > probably not a big deal :)
>
> Ever tried to search vi? :)
> +1 from Just Another User on Xavier's suggestion to do the same as in viewvc.

I think it would be a great new feature, but still I think that if we have an exact match, it should be shown first.

I've quickly modified Find.php to do that. At line 261, I changed the if block to :

if ($pattern || ($type != 'php' && $type != 'perl')) {
    while (list(,$entry) = each($data)) {
        if ($match_function($pattern,
                            $fullpath ? $entry : basename($entry))) {
            if ($entry == $pattern) {
                array_unshift($matches, $entry);
            }
            else {
                $matches[] = $entry;
            }
        }
    }
}

Of course, this only works if $pattern correspond exactly to what the user has typed, which I am absolutely not sure. Anyway, don't you think it's a good idea ?