[aur-general] The search engine needs improvements

Ivy Foster joyfulgirl at archlinux.us
Sat Jan 10 19:07:45 EST 2009

On 10 Jan 2009, at  3:50 pm -0800, Olivier Duclos wrote:

> Le Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:55:39 +0100, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> a écrit:

> > But then again, rar is probably a corner case. I have personally never ran
> > into that problem in all the searches I did on AUR so it is probably not
> > a big deal :)

> I think it would be a great new feature, but still I think that if we have an
> exact match, it should be shown first.

> I've quickly modified Find.php to do that. At line 261, I changed the if block
> to :

> [SNIP]

> Of course, this only works if $pattern correspond exactly to what the user has
> typed, which I am absolutely not sure. Anyway, don't you think it's a good
> idea ?

So this is probably a completely impractical idea, but what about adding some
sort of rudimentary regexp search? Or at least, say, something that would
recognize "^" as the beginning of the package name and "$" as the end? Again,
I don't know how well this would work, but it's just a thought.

Ivy

P.S.: Should this be Cc'd to aur-dev?

--
                    If I Ever Become An Evil Villainess...
27. I will never build only one of anything important. All important systems