[aur-general] Vote - Moving [community] to use same system as main repos

Aaron Schaefer aaron at elasticdog.com
Tue Jan 27 00:45:22 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> So your point is what exactly and how does it relate to the topic at hand?
>
> Allan

It relates because of kludge's question of "what mechanism exists for
users to suggest/cheer on a package's promotion to [extra]?" and
Greg's response of "Its called pkgstats." and Loui's suggestion of
doing a cleanup based on pkgstats/votes before this transition:

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems the consensus is to remove community packages from the AUR
> interface altogether.
>
> Before we do that though we should do a general package clean up.
> Moving packages with extremely low votes/pkgstats usage into
> unsupported, so we're not importing garbage into the new system.
>
> What do you think?

You're asking for people's suggestions on how to proceed with this
transition, and I'm merely pointing out that some of the proposed
implementation details might not be in the best interest for Arch
users...or more accurately, there's no way to tell if they are or not.
Yet, we keep pushing forward to change things regardless and basing
decisions on the same false pretenses.

I think kludge's question is completely valid, and combining these
tools does blur the line on management policies and how
extra/community have worked in the past. Dismissing that concern by
saying there's nothing we can do about losing votes and we'll just
rely on pkgstats might not be the best solution. So my concerns about
pkgstats (and votes) may not be an implementation detail, per se, but
it is absolutely related.

--
Aaron "ElasticDog" Schaefer