[aur-general] AVR toolchain update

bardo ilbardo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 09:29:34 EDT 2009

2009/7/11 taptaptap dödödö <djszapi2 at gmail.com>:
> Hello bardo!
>
> I've spent more time with it too!
> The problem is, it tries to build with that C(XX)FLAGS, which is in your
> /etc/makepkg.conf!
> It can be a hack, but works for me. Set the CXXFLAGS="" && CFLAGS="" for the
> building session, and can be built well.

Thanks, as we discussed in private the toolchain has now been updated,
even though I've been notified by various sources that it is broken
for some AVR architectures. Since I haven't been able to solve the
problem quickly, I'm asking for some help on the list. So, here's an
explanation of what I found out until now.

What's happening: avr-ld, for some reason, doesn't descend into
/usr/avr/lib/ subdirectories while searching for object files, so it
doesn't find arch-specific linker files. I've found an old bug report
that oulines the same problem, even though with no solution posted:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?22539

A (temporary and very ugly) workaround, for those who work with only
one architecture, is linking files in, for example, /usr/avr/lib/avr4/
to /usr/avr/lib/, paying attention to backup files by the same name
(libm.a, libc.a...).

In the meantime I'm trying hard to solve the issue, but I can't really
find where the problem lies, so if anybody has any knowledge of
toolchain-building and has suggestions to share, please write  :)

Thanks,
Corrado