[aur-general] Removing comments from AUR

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 17:17:14 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Daenyth Blank<daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 17:03, Grigorios Bouzakis<grbzks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> May i suggest something slightly relevant, but probably very radical?
>> Disable comments on AUR completely.
>
> I agree that comments are not terribly useful on community packages,
> but I think they're important for [unsupported]. Maybe for community
> packages, only allow comments from the *maintainer* (or TU). My
> preference is to leave it as is. Granted, sometimes people report
> issues for community packages on the comment page, but that's no worse
> than people emailing the maintainer directly (since that's still not
> on the bug tracker), and is better because it's more visible.

Without sounding harsh - it's not my job. We've always harped on the
point that the TUs and community was an autonomous entity. What we are
doing here is enabling that even more so. If the TUs and/or AUR guys
want to disable comments, that's their prerogative, but there's no way
in hell I'm going to add "oh and fiddle with some PHP while we're at
it" to the list of things to do here.