[aur-general] Huge packages in community

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.com.ve
Sat May 2 12:35:02 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've syncing my home repo today (like I've been doing since months
ago) and I got irritated downloading 595 mb of nexuiz, come on, this
package can be popular or whatever, but IMHO having a 595mb package on
the repos will be painful.

I propose for a motion to remove packages like games > 250 mb, I am
not a TU anymore and I know that, but the waste of bandwith
downloading games is *really* killer... A solution could be:

a) Creating an official repo called [games] or something like, where
TUs and Devs can put games there (huge games principally.

b) Definetively not upload games to the repos

I am the administrator of two official mirrors, and watching this
situation I am really worried if packages > 250 mb (games) will be
downloaded / updated eventually and I will have to waste GBs on this.

Please don't take this personal, but IIRC "Gerolde" was suffering for
the lack of space months ago, and even if this package and those huge
popular games > 250 mb doesn't merely to be on the official repos,
frankly (but thanks for the effort to waste the disk space Xyne!).

Anyway, that's my humble opinion.

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net