[aur-general] Huge packages in community

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun May 3 20:02:29 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-03 at 12:05 +1930, Angel Velásquez wrote:
> A solution could be:
>
> a) Creating an official repo called [games] or something like, where
> TUs and Devs can put games there (huge games principally.
>
> b) Definetively not upload games to the repos
>
> I am the administrator of two official mirrors, and watching this
> situation I am really worried if packages > 250 mb (games) will be
> downloaded / updated eventually and I will have to waste GBs on this.
>
> Please don't take this personal, but IIRC "Gerolde" was suffering for
> the lack of space months ago, and even if this package and those huge
> popular games > 250 mb doesn't merely to be on the official repos,
> frankly (but thanks for the effort to waste the disk space Xyne!).
>
> Anyway, that's my humble opinion.

c) splitting up the package in a game and a game-data package, where
game-data is architecture-independent using the -any architecture.

The -any architecture is still work in progress, but it will get there.
Besides nexuiz, there's also Battle for Wesnoth in the extra repository
that could use this treatment. Not only does it save disk space, it will
also save bandwidth for the ones who upload and for the ones who mirror.