[aur-general] Huge packages in community

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.com.ve
Mon May 4 10:13:01 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-03 at 12:05 +1930, Angel Velásquez wrote:
>> A solution could be:
>>
>> a) Creating an official repo called [games] or something like, where
>> TUs and Devs can put games there (huge games principally.
>>
>> b) Definetively not upload games to the repos
>>
>> I am the administrator of two official mirrors, and watching this
>> situation I am really worried if packages > 250 mb (games) will be
>> downloaded / updated eventually and I will have to waste GBs on this.
>>
>> Please don't take this personal, but IIRC "Gerolde" was suffering for
>> the lack of space months ago, and even if this package and those huge
>> popular games > 250 mb doesn't merely to be on the official repos,
>> frankly (but thanks for the effort to waste the disk space Xyne!).
>>
>> Anyway, that's my humble opinion.
>
> c) splitting up the package in a game and a game-data package, where
> game-data is architecture-independent using the -any architecture.
>
> The -any architecture is still work in progress, but it will get there.
> Besides nexuiz, there's also Battle for Wesnoth in the extra repository
> that could use this treatment. Not only does it save disk space, it will
> also save bandwidth for the ones who upload and for the ones who mirror.

This should work btw, i don't know if the split option are active now
in the makepkg, but I saw a thread with an example of Allan, I assume
at least is closer to be done, then we should wait until -any
architecture 8-).

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:41 AM, Loui <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/4 Angel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.com.ve>:
>> Common sens people, games are not necessary software, games are
>> optional software, necessary software is that which means
>> "productivity" or "required" (like drivers, etc).
>
> Games may be required for gaming computers.
> I don't think that Arch really dictates what you should be using the distro for.
> It may be programming, accounting, communicating, or gaming perhaps.

Yes but in times of saving space of bandwidth, no matter how harder
you want to think that gaming are as necessary like programming,
accounting, and other areas ;)

But Jan's solution, should works for all, and everybody will be happy :)

Cheers!
--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net