[aur-general] changing the status of the maintainer field

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Fri May 22 00:47:25 EDT 2009

Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> What if I use abs to fetch the entire core/extra and then build and
> maintain that tree?  Am I now the maintainer and everyone else
> contributors?

I'll be honest: I rolled my eyes when I read that.

If you began to independently maintain all of those packages (update
them yourself, modify the PKGBUILDs, etc) then you would be the
"maintainer" to anyone retrieving them from you and you would be
expected to deal with any errors arising from what you changed. If you
do not distribute them, then "maintainer" makes no sense at all. If you
simply copy the PKBUILDs from abs occasionally without adding your own
modifications, then you're not really a maintainer of the PKGBUILD, but
if you decide to distribute binary versions yourself then you would be
the maintainer of those.