[aur-general] Community commit messages

Gergely Imreh imrehg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 13:16:52 EST 2009

2009/11/7 Andrea Scarpino <andrea at archlinux.org>:
> On 06/11/2009, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey TUs,
>> Please make descriptive commit messages when committing changes
>> to SVN. I've seen a lack of messages, or cryptic ones like 'FS#1234'.
>> Please describe the change, or the issue it's solving in plain language.
> When you read 'FS#1234' as commit message I think you understand that
> it means "fixed bug report #1234". So, if you want to investigate on
> that commit you have a wonderful page on flyspray.

Still, the first line of commit message is there to give a fast
overview what happened, only have to check the wonderful flyspray if
you are interested. For Loui's example: you'd have to check every
single commit manually.
Also, the fix many times not directly what the bug report is about -
but what was uncovered during the bug-report discussion. Thus not only
have to check the bug report header, but the whole thing every
time....

Is it hard to spend an extra 5 second to write a short summary to keep
the good practice and also save other people minutes?

Just an opinion...
   Greg