[aur-general] Community commit messages

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 13:36:23 EST 2009

On Fri 06 Nov 2009 19:07 +0100, Andrea Scarpino wrote:
> On 06/11/2009, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey TUs,
> > Please make descriptive commit messages when committing changes
> > to SVN. I've seen a lack of messages, or cryptic ones like 'FS#1234'.
> > Please describe the change, or the issue it's solving in plain language.

> When you read 'FS#1234' as commit message I think you understand that
> it means "fixed bug report #1234". So, if you want to investigate on
> that commit you have a wonderful page on flyspray.

That's almost like saying we should just do away with commit messages
completely and just look at the diff to figure out what was done.
The revision number obviously refers to the diff, which contains the
literal change. Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily make things very
clear.

Commit messages should explain the commit, clarify reasons for it and
not fully rely on outside reference.