[aur-general] Conventions on packages for cross-compiling

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 13 06:39:50 EDT 2009

Vojtech Horky wrote:
> 2009/10/8 bardo <ilbardo at gmail.com>:
>
>> 2009/10/7 Vojtech Horky <vojta.horky at seznam.cz>:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I am seeking advice how to write correct PKGBUILDs for cross-compilers.
>>>
>>> The thing I am not sure about is where to install them.
>>> Trouble is that even the binary packages use different locations and I
>>> haven't found any other source where to get information from (for
>>> example, cross-arm-wince-cegcc-binutils uses prefix /opt/cegcc/ while
>>> mingw32-gcc uses /usr).
>>> So, which location would you recommend/is better?
>>>
>> Some time ago I asked the same question about my AVR toolchain, which
>> is now in [community]. I think the original thread can be interesting
>> to you:
>> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2008-January/thread.html#611
>>

>>> Another thing - is the correct naming convention 'cross-<arch>-<pkgname>'?
>>>
>> As you see, I just stuck with the '-arch' postfix =)
>>
>> Corrado
>>

> Hi,
> first of all - thanks everybody for the suggestions and the links.
>
> I read them through, (again and again) looked around how others do it
> and finally decided to really write that wiki page as Loui proposed. I
> put the guidelines proposal on
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cross_Compiling_Tools_Package_Guidelines_Proposal
> I and would be really glad if someone would find some time to read it
> and express his opinion.

I have been looking into cross-compilers a lot lately, and I think the
best place to put _all_ their files is /usr/lib/cross-*-*-* and then
symlink needed stuff or add wrapper scripts in /usr/bin/.  This is more
FHS compliant than the /usr/i486-mingw32 that is used in mingw32 and
/usr/avr in the avr one.  Does your proposed build process lead to any
"interesting" directories in /usr?

I am currently rebuilding the mingw32 packages to check if I can get
this working properly and will add comments to the wiki page in the
coming days.

Allan