[aur-general] AUR "Jamie" account

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 14:42:36 EDT 2009

On Tue 13 Oct 2009 20:20 +0200, Xyne wrote:
> > why? are we out of alphabetic combinations?
> >
> > You know what they say...they always come back. What if someone tries arch
> > and comes to the conclusion he/she isn't ready for it. He/she leaves and
> > after some time tries again. It would be a shame coming back and noticing
> > your account is deleted or taken over by someone
> >
> > IMO if Jamie wants to have the AUR username he should just contact the other
> > account holder (if the e-mail is publically available anyway). I don't see
> > any reason to take action, there are enough alphanumeric combinations left.
>
> Hmmm. I was about to say that I still don't agree because the AUR
> account is only for uploading & maintaing packages and voting, but I
> just realized that I hadn't taken comments into account. The user may
> have actually posted some comments.
>
> I still maintain that there is no point in keeping accounts that have
> never been used for anything. It's clutter in the database and on the
> disk. It's like drawing a line in the sand on a beach and then leaving
> without ever coming back. If someone else wants that spot, I don't
> think it should be permanently off-limits because someone might show up
> months or years later and say "hey, that's my spot".
>
> Anyway, with the realization about comments and the overall direction
> of this discussion, I think think I have my answer. I'll let
> forum-Jamie know.

I don't even know why this needs discussion.
No one should expect a username like 'Jamie' or 'Bill', for instance, to
be available on any public site. Those names are just too common. The
smart user should choose something truly unique.

I wouldn't want to set any precedent by giving certain users special
treatment here.

AUR accounts can be renamed in the account settings, so forum-Jamie is
able to choose a new unique name and not have to orphan and re-adopt his
or her packages.