[aur-general] Packaging LLVM

Ranguvar ranguvar at archlinux.us
Mon Oct 26 18:22:04 EDT 2009

It appears that Clang is available as an actual release this time around, so
no need for SVN :)  See this: http://llvm.org/releases/download.html#2.6

As for the splitting of the packages, it will be either difficult or
impossible to separate LLVM and Clang, is the problem.  Plus, I anticipate
Clang being _far_ smaller than the GCC frontend -- it shouldn't be much
trouble to include it in the LLVM package.
The problem is that Clang must be built using the source from LLVM, and
seems to need to be compiled with LLVM.  That would suggest that to offer
Clang separately from LLVM, the two would have to be manually ripped apart
-- I can build LLVM, and I can build LLVM+Clang, but not just Clang.
That may be subject to change, of course, I may have missed something.

So, the route I like would be to put LLVM+Clang in the llvm package, and
offer the GCC frontend as a separate optdep.