[aur-general] Packaging LLVM

Tobias Kieslich tobias at justdreams.de
Mon Oct 26 18:39:44 EDT 2009

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Ranguvar wrote:

> It appears that Clang is available as an actual release this time around, so
> no need for SVN :)  See this: http://llvm.org/releases/download.html#2.6
Oh huebsch! ... or sweet in English ...

> As for the splitting of the packages, it will be either difficult or
> impossible to separate LLVM and Clang, is the problem.  Plus, I anticipate
> Clang being _far_ smaller than the GCC frontend -- it shouldn't be much
> trouble to include it in the LLVM package.
I think you are wrong on both assumptions, just the clang_cc binary is
16 MB the combined libClang* come to 24MB so it is smaller than gcc I
think but still significant. I do think, however, that there can be
seperate packages, I have a pretty good idea which files are to put
where.

You are right that they will have to be build at the same time but we
can split packages now from the same PKGBUILD file. Not that I would
have done it yet but the pacman folks are working on it and AFAIK it's
complete.

The ugly part so far is, I haven't found a way to put clang_cc somewhere
else than /usr/libexec which would be deprecated in Archlinux. If you
move it around the static analyer barfs ...

> The problem is that Clang must be built using the source from LLVM, and
> seems to need to be compiled with LLVM.  That would suggest that to offer
> Clang separately from LLVM, the two would have to be manually ripped apart
> -- I can build LLVM, and I can build LLVM+Clang, but not just Clang.
> That may be subject to change, of course, I may have missed something.
>
> So, the route I like would be to put LLVM+Clang in the llvm package, and
> offer the GCC frontend as a separate optdep.

   -T