[aur-general] TU application: Jan Steffens

Jan Steffens jan.steffens at student.kit.edu
Mon Apr 19 06:45:30 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 12:23 +0200, Philipp wrote:
> I heard from other distros that PA is hard to kill there, and hence
> it's hard to free the interface for jack, but I don't know whether
> that's true for Arch.

>From what I know the problem here is that the client library will start
the local server if it's accessed but not running.

So e.g. while the GNOME volume control is running or every time an
application tries to output an alert sound, the PulseAudio server is
restarted.

Fortunately this is less of a problem with recent PulseAudio versions,
as the server will release the ALSA device if it becomes idle.