[aur-general] Moving some popular games from AUR to community

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Sun Aug 15 03:38:06 EDT 2010

 On 15.08.2010 09:16, Angel Velásquez wrote:

> Well, I am not against those games.. and stuff, but, if adding 6 games
> == ~3GB .. repos will have to syncronize and waste a lot of bandwith
> with these games.
The toll will be 1600MB at worst, so not that big of an issue. Even
then, I kind of dislike the use of "waste" here. If these packages are
useful or even fun, how can one be talking of a waste? Also, 1600MB in
either disk space or bandwidth should be not a problem at all for our
mirrors compared to the daily amount Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora packages, ISO
spins and whatnot that they have to mirror. Debian alone takes 430GB for
a full mirror. Arch is smaller than a tenth of that.

> I'd say that since games are popular they should have their own repo
> .. like [games] (please don't kill me), last time I said that was
> because of nexuiz .. so people who like to have some repos, can decide
> if download games or not... (I particurarly won't do it for my
> personal purposes since I don't use to game, not in pc, not in Linux,
> not now :P).

If mirror size and bandwidth are not issues, how to justify a [games]
repo? Also, [games] may only mark the beginning. Why not also [office],
[multimedia] and [dev]? I really don't want to go there. Adding more
repos will only make Arch less simple but what do we gain?

> But if those packages are popular and maintainer can handle the
> bandwidth and mirrors won't complain about it, im fine with it.
>
> Cheers

Well, I said I'd be fine with the maintaining.