[aur-general] Moving some popular games from AUR to community

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.com.ve
Sun Aug 15 03:16:35 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com> wrote:
>  On 15.08.2010 08:20, Allan McRae wrote:
>> On 15/08/10 15:47, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
>>>   I'd like to move the following games from AUR but I wanted to avoid
>>> any
>>> potential tears this time, thus I'm posting my sinister intentions here
>>> first.

>>> supertuxkart
>>
>> That was in [community] not to long ago but I dropped it when no-one
>> offered to take over maintenance.
>>

> I don't think I was a TU by the time that it was dropped but I'd take it
> now.
>

>> Isn't ufoai massive?
>>
>> Allan
>>

> UFO:AI is 5M + 500M. It's one of the bigger packages for sure. Along
> with the potential Urban Terror 700M. It's up there with Nexuiz 870M and
> VDrift 515M. It's not a problem for our mirrors as the Arch binary repos
> are completely dwarfed by other distributions. It's also not a
> maintenance issue for me as I got the needed uplink to upload these from
> time to time.
> Besides, I don't think there will be a lot more big packages to come
> after these, at least in the near future.

Well, I am not against those games.. and stuff, but, if adding 6 games
== ~3GB .. repos will have to syncronize and waste a lot of bandwith
with these games.

I'd say that since games are popular they should have their own repo
.. like [games] (please don't kill me), last time I said that was
because of nexuiz .. so people who like to have some repos, can decide
if download games or not... (I particurarly won't do it for my
personal purposes since I don't use to game, not in pc, not in Linux,
not now :P).

But if those packages are popular and maintainer can handle the
bandwidth and mirrors won't complain about it, im fine with it.

Cheers

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net