[aur-general] Shall I move mplayer-vaapi to [community]?

Ionuț Bîru ibiru at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 17 02:23:17 EDT 2010

On 08/17/2010 05:14 AM, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've been using mplayer-vaapi [1] with my Radeon HD 4200 IGP for a
> couple of months now and I think it's a very useful package. Recently,
> its maintainer in the AUR dropped it because he switched to libvdpau.
> So, I've been thinking of adopting it and moving it to [community].
>
> I haven't done anything yet, as I'm a bit unsure of whether I should
> go forward with the move. On one hand, a binary package for
> mplayer-vaapi is included in the unofficial, but well maintained,
> catalyst repo [2], but on the other hand it still is a useful package
> and it only has an additional dependency on libva (available in
> [extra]) compared to the straight mplayer package; it'd be nice to
> have it in [community].

Thomas would be very happy to have this in our repos. :) I don't have
any particular issues with it but this open a road in which we allowed
patched applications in our repos.

This patch wasn't accepted upstream by mplayer devs yet.

> On an semi-related note, I was also thinking of moving xvba-video to
> [community] as well, but it depends on the catalyst package which has
> a very complicated PKGBUILD (i.e. manual installation of every file).
> Therefore, I don't have any plans to mess with that for now. :P

Did catalyst resolved the issues that we had with it some time ago?
If yes  catalyst should be repacked properly if you want it in repos,
like nvidia is.

--
Ionuț