[aur-general] TU Application / Looking for sponsor

Jakob Gruber jakob.gruber at kabelnet.at
Wed Aug 25 09:39:33 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 25 August 2010 15:09:09 Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:30:35 +0200
>
> schrieb Jakob Gruber <jakob.gruber at kabelnet.at>:
> > me-tv
>
> Are you really sure that you want to bring THIS package to [community]?
>
> I was a former AUR maintainer of this package and orphaned it because
> it was absolutely impossible to work together with upstream.
>
> There have been a lot of bugs - I don't know them exactly anymore - but
> they made at least a reasonable usage impossible. That's why I, of
> course, filed a bug report to upstream.
>
> And you really don't want to know the following e-mail conversation I
> had with Michael Lamothe the upstream developer. Well, a part of it
> took place in the AUR comments. He was really more than impolite, felt
> hassled by bug reports and feature requests, didn't care about bug
> reports and feature requests, and only programs for his own purposes.
> It's a very, very short and polite summary of his own words.
>
> Briefly speaking it was no fun or rather impossible maintaining this
> package and working together with upstream, and me-tv was too buggy.
>
> I doubt that all of these bugs are fixed.
>
> I'm not sure if you really want to or should bring those problems to the
> binary repos.
>
> But I'm really wondering how Vinzenz and you have been resp. are able
> to maintaining this package, and how this package could become so many
> votes.
>
> Well, me-tv is principally not bad as long as it works and as long as
> it has no bugs by chance, or you're not missing a feature.
>
> Heiko

First of all, thanks Laurent for sponsoring me, I appreciate it.

About me-tv: I don't have any strong feelings either way, but it seems like a
popular, actively developed application.

I did see some conflicts with upstream in AUR comments about a year ago (?),
but my experiences so far have been pretty good. Both recent bug reports
related to Arch were fixed within reasonable time:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/me-tv/+bug/584704
https://bugs.launchpad.net/me-tv/+bug/560615

PKGBUILD updates have been simple version bumps + md5sum updates only.