[aur-general] Licenses, GPL3 only

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Aug 26 07:18:30 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Loui Chang's message of 2010-08-26 12:40:56 +0200:
> On Mon 23 Aug 2010 12:03 +0200, Philipp wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I just looked up the GPL notation again.
> > Here's the relevant excerpt from the wiki:
> >
> > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards
> >
> > ..
> > The (L)GPL has many versions and permutations of those versions.
> > For (L)GPL software, the convention is:
> >
> >     * (L)GPL - (L)GPLv2 or any later version
> >     * (L)GPL2 - (L)GPL2 only
> >     * (L)GPL3 - (L)GPL3 or any later version
> >

> > Now besides that this is obviously confusing there's another problem.
> > How would you specify that a program is GPL3 only?
>
> Here's my proposed scheme:
> GPL  = Any GPL license
> GPL1 = GPL1 only
> GPL2 = GPL2 only
> GPL3 = GPL3 only
>
> If you want to use 2 and 3, just list them both in the licenses array.
> Future proof.

It would turn ugly if there was an inflation of GPL licenses though.
license=('GPL1' 'GPL2' 'GPL3' 'GPL4' 'GPL5' 'GPL6' 'GPL7' 'GPL8')

Besides that, I think it's future proof.
One issue though is that the meaning of:
('GPL2' 'GPL3')
isn't the same as:
'GPL2 or later'
It only is practically the same because there's nothing beyond GPL3 yet.
--
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu
und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan