[aur-general] Licenses, GPL3 only

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Aug 26 07:44:30 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Ronald van Haren's message of 2010-08-26 13:29:09 +0200:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Philipp Überbacher
> <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> > Excerpts from Roberto Alsina's message of 2010-08-26 13:16:05 +0200:
> >>
> >> Sure:
> >>
> >> GPL2
> >> GPL2+
> >> GPL3
> >> GPL3+
> >> etc.
> >
> > That's what I'd be in favor of. I'm not sure the '+' is the best way,
> > because it has other meanings than 'any later' as well.
> >

> I missed the bloody obvious.... :lol:
>
> >> For convenience, you may want to make GPL the equivalent of GPL2+
> >
> > I think that's not convenient but confusing.
> > --
>
> Even with setting GPL to GPL2+, it is a lot of work. I don't even want
> to think about the amount of work it creates not doing so...
> Not sure if it is really worth the effort at this point.
>
> Ronald

That's the trouble. The current naming scheme isn't future proof.
Changing it would be a lot of work as it affects every single package
and pacman and helpers.

I guess we could extend the current scheme in a future proof manner, but
overall it would be inconsistent.

Keep the current meaning:
GPL   = GPL2 or later
GPL2  = GPL2 only
GPL3  = GPL3 or later

Add something for the GPL3 only case:
GPL3o = GPL3 only <- find some nicer way

Basically start a new, consistent scheme with GPL4:
GPL4  = GPL4 only
GPL4+ = GPL4 or later
..

If they come up with something fancier than a plain 'or later' we might
be in trouble again.

Alternatively:

Keep the current meaning:
GPL   = GPL2 or later
GPL2  = GPL2 only
GPL3  = GPL3 or later

Add something for the GPL3 only case:
GPL3o = GPL3 only <- find some nicer way

Keep using the GPL3 way:
GPL4  = GPL4 or later
GPL4o = GPL4 only

It's all a bunch of hacks to avoid a transition from the current scheme
to a new one. Maybe a solution would be to find a way to ease said
transition.
--
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu
und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan