[aur-general] voting period for Dave Reisner

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 14:36:55 CET 2010

On Sun 05 Dec 2010 08:19 -0500, Shacristo wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Kaiting Chen <kaitocracy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is sort of what I was talking about in my previous mail about
> > the refinement of the bylaws. Thirteen hours have passed since the
> > beginning of the voting period and at this point according to this
> > page:
> >
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Trusted_Users
> >
> > There are thirty Trusted Users. Seventeen yay's have been cast and a
> > simple majority has already been reached. We should amend the bylaws
> > such that the voting period may end because no amount of nay's can
> > change the outcome of the vote at this point. There is no reason for
> > falconindy to wait another seven days to receive his Trusted User
> > privileges. --Kaiting.
>
> 17/30 does not make a 66% quorum, so yes, the motion could still fail.

Kaiting is saying that even though quorum hasn't been met, that it's
impossible for the vote to fail on the basis of opposition.

If the rest of the TUs voted nay, then it would be 17 aye vs 13 nay
which would still be a majority for the motion.

How do they do it in real life if quorum isn't met, but support for the
motion is enough that it shouldn't really matter.