[aur-general] Non-native English speakers and the AUR by-laws [WAS: removal proposal for Ranguvar]

PyroPeter abi1789 at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 5 21:07:28 CET 2010

On 12/05/2010 07:47 PM, Kaiting Chen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 1:42 PM, PyroPeter<abi1789 at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 12/05/2010 03:11 AM, Xyne wrote:
>>
>>> I'm halfway tempted to create the flowchart but I just don't have the
>>> time. If
>>> someone wants to adapt the dot file from the Arch Linux Help Guide
>>> Flowchart,
>>> feel free:
>>>

>>> http://xyne.archlinux.ca/miscellaneous/#the-arch-linux-help-guide-flowchart
>>>
>>> Make sure that "Blame Allan" is in there somewhere (Was quorum reached?
>>> --no-->
>>> Blame Allan -->   etc)
>>>

>> I created a flowchart about the Standard Voting Procedure [1], but I had
>> problems understanding this bit:
>>
>>> A simple majority is needed to pass or reject the motion. In the
>>> event of a draw, being that 50% is not a majority, the motion does
>>> not pass.
>>
>> Isn't "reject" the same as "does not pass"?
>> And what means "being that 50% is not a majority"? (50% of what?)
>>
>> As I showed in the graph, I understood the quoted text as follows:
>>
>>> If more than 50% of the votes cast for YES, the motion passes,
>>> if not, it is rejected.
>>

> That's the correct interpretation. A simple majority requires *greater* than
> 50% of the votes cast which is what the part up above was trying to express.
> --Kaiting.

If what I wrote ("If more than 50% of the votes cast for YES, the
motion passes, if not, it is rejected.") is equivalent to the two
sentences in the bylaws, wouldn't it make sense to replace them
with the easier to understand version I wrote?

--
freenode/pyropeter                          "12:50 - Ich drücke Return."