[aur-general] TU Application

Stefan Husmann stefan-husmann at t-online.de
Sun Dec 5 18:25:45 EST 2010

Am 06.12.2010 00:13, schrieb Jelle van der Waa:

> On 12/05/10 at 05:38pm, Kaiting Chen wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Jelle van der Waa <jelle at vdwaa.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all.
>>> I would love to see
>>> improvements like more splitting of packages which has been done with
>>> packages like compiz.
>>

>> Hi, can I ask what you mean by the splitting of packages? The last thing I
>> want to see is the debianization of our distribution, where one package is
>> needlessly split into a hundred little ones. --Kaiting.
>>
>> --
>> Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/
>
> Well for example handbrake could be split to handbrake-gtk,
> handbrake-qt, etc. And then only if the app supports it with configure
> flags. And my other argument for more splitting is purely for creating a
> -data package if the app is big and if the -data pkg has an arch=('any')
> so you have a smaller repo ;)
>
> btw I don't know how crazy debian is with splitting packages ;)

Hello,

handbrake and handbrake-cli already use the same split PKGBUILD. Same for
the svn-counterparts in AUR.

If the data files are big and architecture independent, splitting save disk
space on the server and probably also bandwidth. So in this case it makes sense.
I think, Kaiting was thinking that you wanted to split into a end-user and a
devel-package (including header files and libs). I did not understand you that
way.

Regards Stefan