[aur-general] TU Application

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Mon Dec 6 07:33:47 EST 2010

On 12/05/10 at 07:50pm, Kaiting Chen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 7:21 PM, PyroPeter <abi1789 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 12/06/2010 12:22 AM, Kaiting Chen wrote:
> >
> >> However I really don't like the idea of splitting out -data packages. This
> >> is basically what Debian does. I remember they would take a single package
> >> and split it to *-bin, *-libs, *-dev, *-src, *-otherstuff, etc. It's a
> >> nightmare. --Kaiting.
> >>

> > This actually makes much sense:
> >
> > Imagine a game with 2MB of architecture-dependent executables and 2GB of
> > grafics/sounds. In the repo this will look like this:
> >
> > 2GB  somegame-i686.pkg.tar.gz
> > 2GB  somegame-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
> > total: 4GB
> >
> > When you split out the data part, it looks like this:
> >
> > 2MB  somegame-i686.pkg.tar.gz
> > 2MB  somegame-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
> > 2GB  somegame-data-any.pkg.tar.gz
> > total: 2.004GB
> >

> I know, and in this case it would be fine. Just so long as it doesn't
> become:
>
> 200KB  somegame-i686.pkg.tar.gz
> 200KB  somegame-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
> total: 400KB
>
> 180KB  somegame-i686.pkg.tar.gz
> 180KB  somegame-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
> 20KB  somegame-data-any.pkg.tar.gz
> total: 380KB
>
> Which is the way Debian would do it. --Kaiting.
>
> --
> Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Hehehe, well to end this discussion. I want to decrease the server
space, so an -data package which is as big as 200Mb would save much
space.

Although i don't know if that is really a problem with our mirrors? With
Arch-Games it was and i thought that it was a nice and efficient way of
packaging/managing your repo.

--

Jelle van der Waa