[aur-general] Tarball Guidelines

Slash demodevil at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 06:14:39 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> IMO, the AUR shouldn't even warn you about this. Either your tarball
> passes a set of criteria (described by the packaging guidelines) and
> it's accepted to the AUR, or its rejected reason and the user can try
> again.

I think there is a a difference between pass/fail requirements and
"best practices". The AUR _is_ warning me about a best practice- via
automated bot. I don't think comments are the best place to send
automated best practice notices. If the AUR had to notify me, the
upload form would make more sense, IMO. Personally, I agree that the
AUR probably shouldn't be doing this at all, but I was just making a
suggestion assuming it was going to be done regardless.

Anyways, judging by the comments in this thread, there is no one tool
or best place to put something like this, currently (like namcap). If
the bot will only comment once per package, I guess it won't be too
intrusive- besides this one-time spam for existing packages ;)

Slash