[aur-general] Tarball Guidelines

Justin Davis jrcd83 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 22:41:25 CET 2010

Just wanted to say I appreciated the one email I got from the bot that
told me there was a .PKGINFO file in my source package. I adopted this
package so I'm not sure how the original packager pulled that off.

I like the idea. Yes, obviously it should be built into the AUR
website itself. The problem is that it is a lot quicker and easier to
make a bot. There's also the whole weird "maintenance mode" thing. The
cool part is we've already beta tested this thing without modifying
the AUR at all.

I would not mess with binary files. I always assumed the packaging
guidelines meant executable files instead of binaries. Yes executable
(ELF) files are bad. I think this has been established earlier.

One suggestion is that the comment adds Keenerd's email or some way to
know where in the world it came from or who owns it. An anonymous bot!
Fear!

Another idea: instead of commenting en mass you could send an e-mail
to the maintainer with a list of packages and their problems. If they
have their e-mail available of course.
--
-Justin