[aur-general] TU application - Kyle Keen

Kaiting Chen kaitocracy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 19:58:40 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:15 PM, keenerd <keenerd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll agree the bot was poorly executed.  The trigger thresholds were
> initially set a bit too low.  Less than 1/3 through the scan I greatly
> increased the triggers (ignore improper nesting, ignore less than four
> PNGs/GIFs/JPGs).
>
> To act as if this is a black and white issue draws a parallel with a
> very unethical Non-Compete agreement:  "While you are a programmer for
> FOO Corp, you are not allowed to write/release software outside of
> work."  I have never and would never take employment with such a
> company.  (Conversely, I have never worked on FOSS stuff for fun while
> on the clock.)  What rights, that we have as ordinary users, are given
> up even outside of the TU sphere?
>
> Retracting my withdrawal would be cheating.  I will wait at least
> three months, as a fair interpretation of the Bylaws requires.

I don't think the three month rule applies in this case. Your application
was not rejected by Standard Voting Procedure. Admittedly how to proceed in
this case is not altogether clear per the by-laws but by my interpretation
if your application did not reach the voting period, then if would follow
the same procedure as any other motion that did not reach the voting period.
A good example is the slew of by-laws amendments flying around. Each version
is slightly different from the previous one, and only one will ever reach
the voting period; the discarded ones are effectively 'withdrawn'. It would
be ridiculous to require the edited version of each proposal to sit tabled
for a minimum of three months: we would never get any work done.

I believe Thorsten was too harsh in his mail regarding your bot, and I agree
with your assessment that your actions were well within your rights as a
normal user. I think what all of us are concerned about is that it may
appear as if you have spoken for all of us regarding a policy matter that in
actuality has not been decided.

In all honesty I don't think it was a huge deal. You are very excited about
Arch Linux; potentially you're about to become a Trusted User; people get
overzealous and things like this happen. Most of the comments that your bot
left were not controversial at all. The important thing is to learn that you
will be working as part of a team, and what you say or do affects how that
team is perceived.

Ideally I would like to see your resubmit your application immediately
because I think that your skills and enthusiasm would make a great addition
to the team. --Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/