[aur-general] VirtualBox in [community]

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Tue Dec 28 09:49:32 EST 2010

On 28 December 2010 19:09, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 12:59:45 +0200
> Ionuț Bîru <ibiru at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On 12/28/2010 12:55 PM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
>> >
>> > why not call the former virtualbox-additions-image or something?
>> > a name like that is miles clearer, imho.
>> >
>> > Dieter
>>
>> historical reasons and i didn't bothered changing. I admit that now
>> virtualbox-additions 4.0.0-1 doesn't have a good description but that
>> was fixed in trunk.
>>
>> the name of the package doesn't really matter. Descriptions are
>> important in this case.
>
> descriptions are a good way to give additional info, but it makes
> no sense to keep the packagename itself vague and force people
> to read the description when that could be easily avoided.
> especially in this case the packagenames are very confusing.
>
> I would rename as follows:
> virtualbox-additions -> virtualbox-additions-image
> virtualbox-guest-additions -> virtualbox-additions
>
> or to be extra clear:
> virtualbox-additions -> virtualbox-guest-additions-image
> virtualbox-guest-additions stays virtualbox-guest-additions

+1

Naming should always be thought out carefully if not already apparent
or dictated (by upstream), in the event there is confusion with one or
more packages. In this case, there _is_ confusion. The following
should clear it all out:

virtualbox-additions -> virtualbox-guest-additions (consistent with
upstream and history)
  desc: "The VirtualBox Guest Additions ISO/CD image"

virtualbox-guest-additions -> virtualbox-additions-linux ('guest' not
important; shall be implied by description)
  desc: "Additions for Linux guests (userspace tools)"

virtualbox-guest-modules -> virtualbox-modules-linux (as above)
  desc: "Additions for Linux guests (kernel modules)

And also, IMO, in AUR:

virtualbox-ext-oracle -> virtualbox-extension-pack
  desc: "The Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack"

On 28 December 2010 20:06, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Probably it would be even better to remove the packages
> virtualbox-guest-additions and virtualbox-guest-modules completely as
> Arch Linux is fully supported by the installation script of the iso
> installed by virtualbox-additions. And the guest additions installed by
> this script are working perfectly out of the box on Arch Linux guests.

No. The additions CD image can be bloat to some people only running
vbox with an (arch)linux guest.