[aur-general] [arch-dev-public] Breaking the unspoken rule: AUR helper in [community]

Ionuț Bîru ibiru at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 30 07:26:54 EST 2010

On 12/30/2010 04:16 AM, Dan McGee wrote:
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/cower/
>
> Thoughts? I was under the impression we didn't do this, and definitely
> on purpose, otherwise people have *no* idea the AUR is different in a
> lot of ways. Making people go the "hard way" to get a helper installed
> at least presents some (necessary) barrier.
>
> -Dan

this is my mistake suggesting him to push it community mostly because
cower is not like yaourt. It doesn't help building anything and users
still have to familiar themselves with PKGBUILD and makepkg.

i consider cower being a cli interface from aur and it much better than
the html version. with it i can found more easily packages because it
has bash completion, searching has regex. Just try to find the link for
opera build from aur using the html interface vs cower.

The only "rule" i found in wikis about this subject is:

Note: There is not and will never be an official mechanism for
installing build material from UNSUPPORTED. All users should be familiar
with the build process.

Maybe we should change that and include all aur helpers that interface
with the official json api from aur.archlinux.org.

--
Ionuț