[aur-general] [arch-dev-public] Breaking the unspoken rule: AUR helper in [community]

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Thu Dec 30 07:45:55 EST 2010

Ionuț Bîru wrote:

> Maybe we should change that and include all aur helpers that interface
> with the official json api from aur.archlinux.org.

I would only restrict applications that download from (and maybe upload to) the
AUR. There may be acceptable uses of the API beyond that, such as a generic
search application that checks repos and the AUR, e.g.

$ findpkg foo
foo is in the AUR: <url>

That would still make the package origin clear and require the user to
understand how the AUR and ABS work, and it does not present any security
risks.