[aur-general] [arch-dev-public] Breaking the unspoken rule: AUR helper in [community]

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 30 09:47:20 EST 2010

On 30 December 2010 20:45, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
> Ionuț Bîru wrote:
>
>> Maybe we should change that and include all aur helpers that interface
>> with the official json api from aur.archlinux.org.
>
> I would only restrict applications that download from (and maybe upload to) the
> AUR. There may be acceptable uses of the API beyond that, such as a generic
> search application that checks repos and the AUR, e.g.
>
> $ findpkg foo
> foo is in the AUR: <url>
>
> That would still make the package origin clear and require the user to
> understand how the AUR and ABS work, and it does not present any security
> risks.

Searching, downloading, or uploading - all communicate with the AUR
and provide the user with an alternative interface. This "integrates"
the AUR into the distribution, to some extent.

* john installs archlinux
* john installs aursearch
* john searches aur
* john realises there is no download or build helper he can install
* john complains and demands for a helper in the repos, citing the
search helper as useless

However, a search tool is pretty trivial and I don't see any other
problems aside from complaints like the above. IMHO a search tool can
be kept in our repos. However, a download tool asks for more trouble.
For instance:

"Hi..I have a problem with barsoft. Downloaded and installed in archlinux"
"What? Didn't we say NOT to redistribute our software? archlinux is
now in the hall of shame."

We currently have the defense that the AUR is _completely_ decoupled.
This has allowed us to have all sorts of things in there. The only
action one can take on a PKGBUILD is to access the AUR, personally or
by means of third-party, unsupported utilities.

As for an upload tool, I don't see any immediate issue. It's got
nothing to do with anything but putting up files. But one case where
it might pose a problem is if someone decided we're bad for letting
users upload their restricted non-redistributable software. We would
also not have the completely-decoupled defense in the event of a
dispute.